How to Prepare Your Car for Transport
Preparing your vehicle for transportation requires careful attention to detail and adherence to essential steps to ensure a smooth and worry-free experience. Whether relocating your car, selling it to a distant buyer, or sending it for repairs, properly preparing it can help prevent damage and ensure its safe arrival at the destination.
Discover the essential steps and expert tips to prepare your vehicle for transport with this comprehensive guide. By following the below-given guidelines, you can have confidence and peace of mind, knowing your vehicle is thoroughly prepared for a successful journey to its new location.
Is it necessary to empty cars when they are being shipped?
While it is recommended to empty cars when they are being shipped, it is essential to note that various items may be left in your vehicle during relocation. However, please be aware that personal belongings such as bags, boxes, and tools may incur further charges. It is advisable to contact the team of Auto Mover for detailed information and guidelines regarding what items can be left in the vehicle and any additional charges that may apply.
How Do I Prepare My Car for Transport?
Here are some essential steps to follow when preparing your car for transport:
- Clean and Wash: Give your car a thorough inside and out cleaning before the transport. This allows for a proper inspection and helps protect your car’s exterior during transit.
- Document Existing Condition: Take detailed photos of your car from various angles, capturing any pre-existing damages or scratches. This documentation will serve as evidence in case of any issues during transport.
- Check for Mechanical Issues: Have your car inspected by a qualified mechanic to ensure it is in proper working condition. Address any necessary repairs or maintenance before the transport to avoid potential issues during transit.
- Fuel Level and Battery: Ensure your car has around a quarter fuel tank. Excessive fuel can be a safety hazard while having some fuel is necessary for loading and unloading. Also, ensure your car’s battery is fully charged or in good condition.
- Check for Leaks and Fluid Levels: Inspect your car for any leaks and address them promptly. Also, check the fluid levels, including oil, coolant, and brake fluid, and top them up if needed.
- Secure or Remove Loose Parts: If your car has any loose parts or accessories that cannot be removed, such as spoilers or antenna, make sure they are securely fastened to avoid potential damage during transport.
- Disable Alarms and Toll Tags: Disable car alarms or anti-theft systems to prevent unnecessary activation during transport. Remove any toll tags or parking passes to avoid unwanted charges or issues.
- Inform the Transport Company: Provide accurate and detailed information about your vehicle, including its dimensions, weight, and unique requirements. This will help us make the necessary arrangements for a smooth transport process.
- Review the Transport Agreement: Carefully review the transport agreement we provide. Understand the terms and conditions, insurance coverage, and any specific instructions or requirements mentioned.
Preparing Your Convertibles for Car Carrying
If you own a convertible vehicle, properly preparing it for car carrying is crucial to protect it during transportation. Follow these steps to ensure the safety and preservation of your convertible:
- Secure the Convertible Top: Before transport, ensure the convertible top is securely fastened to avoid any potential damage from air, debris, or moisture. Make sure it is tightly secured according to the manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Avoid Wind-Resistant Tarps or Covers: It is essential not to use wind-resistant tarps or covers to secure your convertible. These can cause friction and act like sandpaper, potentially damaging the vehicle’s exterior. We do not encourage transporting vehicles with tarps or covers under any circumstances.
- Fold Back Mirrors and Retract Antenna: To prevent potential damage, fold the side mirrors and retract the antenna. This reduces the risk of them getting caught or damaged during transportation.
- Secure or Remove Specialty Items: If your convertible has specialty items such as fog lights or other aftermarket accessories, ensure they are securely fastened or consider removing them for transport. This prevents any potential damage or loss during transit.
Contact Auto Mover for Safe and Reliable Car Transportation.
At Auto Mover, we understand the importance of properly preparing your vehicle for transportation. Hence, our experts are ready to offer guidance on preparing your car for a seamless, stress-free transport experience.
Whether you need to transport a standard vehicle or a convertible, we have the expertise and resources to ensure the safe delivery of your vehicle to its destination. Contact us today to discuss your car transportation needs and receive a personalised quote.